· Serving in 5th term in U.S. Senate and was first elected to the Senate in 1980
· Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and a senior member of the Appropriations and Veterans Affairs committees
· Chairs the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education which oversees federal funding for the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and educational programs like Head Start and Pell grants.
· Began his career in public service as an Assistant Philadelphia District Attorney. While serving in that position, he was named Assistant Counsel on the Warren Commission investigation into President Kennedy's assassination.
· District Attorney of Philadelphia at the age of 35 (1966-74).
Air Force, 1951-53
B.A. (international relations), University of Pennsylvania, 1951
Yale University, LL.B. 1956
Born to immigrant parents in Wichita, Kansas, and grew up in the small town of Russell, Kansas. He lives in Philadelphia with his wife Joan. They have two sons, Shanin and Steve, and four grandchildren, Silvi, Perri, Lilli, and Hatti.
More about Sen. Arlen Specter