President & Chief Executive Officer of the NAACP as of August 1, 2005 (he was approved by a unanimous vote)
· President, Retail Markets Group for Verizon Communications (retired Dec. 2003).
· Group President for Bell Atlantic's Enterprise business unit (Prior to the Bell Atlantic/GTE merger in June 2000).
· Group President for Consumer and Small Business Services of Bell Atlantic's Network Services Inc. (Before the Bell Atlantic/NYNEX merger).
· In 1985, he was appointed Vice President - sales of Bell Atlantic, and subsequently served as president-consumer services and Vice President.
· Began his career at Bell of Pennsylvania in 1968 as a management trainee.
· B.A. from Gettysburg College
· M.S. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
· Fortune magazine named him to its “50 Most Powerful Black Executives” list in July 2002. He was ranked # 6.
· Black Enterprise magazine named him "1998 Executive of the Year.
· Member of the board of Southern Company and Tyco International, Ltd.
· Member of the board of Office Depot.
· Member of the Executive Leadership Council.
· Trustee of Gettysburg College and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Foundation.
· Born in Camden, New Jersey on February 15, 1946.
· His parents were both active in the civil rights movement.
· He and his wife, Tawana Tibbs, reside in New York City.
· His son, Taurin, 27, resides in Philadelphia, PA.
More about Bruce Gordon