She has been a reporter since May 1995.
· In Iraq: Jan 04, in May 04’- March 05’ and Sept 05 - Nov. 05.
· She survived mortar attacks, car bombs, the battle for Fallujah and a kidnapping attempt outside of Abu Ghraib prison.
· Started at the Post as a summer intern on the Financial staff.
· Post Metro reporter and Financial reporter covered accounting policy for two years.
· Before the Post, she contributed to the Oakland Tribune, the San Diego Union Tribune, the Decatur (Ill.) Herald and Review and the Los Angeles Times TV magazine.
· Travel writer, whose exploits from the Galapagos Islands, Rock of Gibraltar, Spain, Finland and Jordan have been detailed in the travel pages of the Washington Post.
· MA from the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California at Berkeley.
· Bachelor’s of science in journalism from Southern Illinois University 1992.
She was awarded the Alumni Achievement Award in May 2005 by the College of Mass Communications and Media Arts at Southern Illinois University. She presented the commencement address during graduation ceremonies.
· She is the daughter of a pipe fitter and a schoolteacher. She lives in Mt. Rainier, Md.
· Grew up in Decatur, Illinois
More about Jackie Spinner