· President George H. W. Bush nominated him as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court on July 2, 1991.
· He was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on October 15, 1991 on a 52-48 vote
· He was sworn into office on October 18, 1991 by Justice Byron White and took his his seat as the 106th Associate Justice of the Supreme Court on October 23, 1991.
· Admitted to law practice in Missouri in 1974
· Assistant Attorney General of Missouri, 1974-77
· Attorney with the Monsanto Company, 1977-79
· Legislative Assistant to Senator John Danforth, 1979-81
· Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, U.S. Education Department, 1981-82
· Chairman of U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1982-90
· Became a Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 1990
· Attended Conception Seminary
· A.B. cum laude, from Holy Cross College
· J.D. from Yale Law School in 1974
· Born in the Pin Point community of Georgia near Savannah June 23, 1948
· Married Virginia Lamp in 1987 and has one child, Jamal, by a previous marriage.
More about Justice Clarence Thomas